Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What to include
Log-ins and passwords
- Homeland Security Digital Library
- Collection Development
- Public Access
- Computer Access
- Collection Statistics
- Processing Policy Document (if you have one)
List websites, online guides, and social media you update.
List of local libraries and all FDLP Libraries in the state (regional, selectives).
List any depository programs, events, bibliographic instruction, and promotion responsibilities.
Provide day one steps for the new coordinator.
Record risks and issues of concern.
List professional development opportunities: such as ALA, state, regional, and local associations.
List accounts which need to have new log ins created (e.g. askGPO or FDLP eXchange).
Gathering the info
Create an electronic file for documents stored on your computer or network your successor will need.
- Locate and organize paperwork
- Designation Documents
- Biennial Surveys
GPO can provide these documents if they are not found.
Locate Legal Requirements and Program Regulations
Before you leave...
- Store succession documentation where it can easily be found
- Make sure as least one colleague will have access to the Succession Plan
- If possible, assign/train someone to process materials and to provide depository support
- Get administration's approval of Succession Plan
- Ensure supervisors are aware of the Succession Plan and have access to it
- Write a welcome letter for the new coordinator to share information, words of encouragement, and any tips which might help the transition
- Also consider leaving your contact information for your successor and any other information which might be helpful
732 North Capitol Street, NW • Washington, DC 20401